Advice about providing homes for Ukrainian families
The UK welcome Ukrainians with their immediate family members who want to come to the UK and have someone willing to provide them with a home. The ‘Homes for Ukraine’ scheme enables individuals, charities, community groups and businesses to volunteer accommodation and provide a route to safety for those forced to escape their homeland.
- No limit on numbers – as many can come as there are sponsors
- Sponsors will offer accommodation for at least 6 months
- Sponsors will need to find a match on various sites co-ordinating those coming to the UK
- Checks will be made on both parties, to ensure they are suitable. In some cases, DBS checks – there will be a role for local councils in supporting this activity, but the full extent is still being clarified
- It is likely that visa checks relating to criminal convictions/arrests/charges will take place for both recipients and beneficiaries out of the country as part of the existing visa award arrangements.
- Under this scheme, people arriving from Ukraine will have access to public services, work and benefits
- Sponsors cannot charge rent, but will be eligible for a “thank you” payment of £350 per month – it is likely LA will administer this. It’s a fixed amount per address.