The Church is called “St Chad’s” after Bishop Chad, an important figure from the 7th Century. He was a bishop of the Mercians with a “see” at Lichfield.
The building has its roots deep in history, parts of which go back to the 12th Century. The old font is probably earlier, possibly Saxon. The aisle and tower were added in the late 14th and early 15th Century. The Victorians rebuilt parts of the chancel.
Two of the beautiful stained glass windows are of special interest. The main east window depicting the resurrection is in memory of Charles Kingsley (the widow lived in Tachbrook Mallory), the 19th century novelist who wrote “The Water Babies”. The east window in the north aisle dates from 1863 and is an early work of William Morris.
Please visit stchadsbt.org for more information about the church and its actvities.